Thursday, September 23, 2010

Why Have I never been to Paris?


Paris: Day 1

My goal is to eat and shop my way through Paris. So far it has been mostly sight seeing. Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, and Champs-Elysees... We haven't been in a hurry to get anywhere, still jet-lagged from the long flight. But this truly is a beautiful city. Also, I never expected to see so many huge churches... I am hoping we will make it inside one for church on Sunday instead of just another stop sight seeing. The Notre Dame was gorgeous...


We learned that the people of France were using the building for storage and considering burning it down until Victor Hugo wrote the book "Our Lady Paris" (a.k.a. The Hunchback of Notre Dame... a name he hated, because the main character was meant to be the cathedral and not the Hunchback) and the people of Paris loved the book and fell back in love with the Notre Dame refusing to let it be destroyed! Also, the stain glass windows were gorgeous and the first of their time. The gothic style was the first time they were able to house stain glass windows in such large buildings. The gardens between the Notre Dame and the seine are also a must see!

Loved the Gargoyles! When I come back, I plan on going to the top and seeing them up close!

Gardens next to Notre Dame

My Papa next to the Seine.

We also learned they cleaned the outside of the cathedral using LASERS to keep from harming the original stone.



This little shop has been one of my favorite places... okay, most definitely my favorite place in France so far. Unfortunately, it is not French... it's English. This bookstore specializes in selling really really old books, but even more fun than that... it sells reprints of original hard to find books. Maybe the two best things you could ask for in a bookstore. From the floor to the ceiling, it is just books stacked on books. It makes you wonder whether there is a method to their madness or if they are just book hoarders like me. I hope my future library is stocked with as many books as they fit in a tiny corner. My favorite... all the old cookbooks and the children's nook!
Took a picture of this pup while he was putting on a show chasing birds in this fancy fountain in front of the tower.

We have been to the Eiffel tower 3 times now. Once in the day time, once in the evening, and once during the strobe show at night. Such a different experience every time! Now we just need to buy some baguettes and wine and sit on the lawn and experience it like a true Parisian.


Still haven't seen this and it's already out in Europe. Someone go see it with me?



No comments:

Post a Comment